Saturday, June 27, 2009

Questions


I snapped this photo on Hawthorne Street in Portland. Fixed gear bikes are everywhere in that city but this one caught my eye for a couple of reasons and I'm wondering if any of you have any thoughts on...

1. What do you think about track bars on a road bike conversion?

2. Check the stem (looks like maybe a 130mm) and the height of the seat post. Obviously, this frame is a tad small for it's rider but he/she has made it work by stretching the cockpit. Have any of you taller riders had experience with making a smaller frame fit OK?

I keep looking for a lugged steel track bike or frame in my size (61-62) but I don't find many for sale. Anybody have any suggestions? I can't really afford a custom-built frame and besides I prefer the look of an older bike with some battle scars and patina.

7 comments:

sab said...

I had been riding a small frame like that and finally just got a 61cm alien track frame, since like you said, you can't find older frames in large sizes. The only thing I've noticed and I don't know if it's just my bike but on smaller frames, I could easily hit the front wheel with my toes. Now with my large frame, it's tight track geo, large toe clips with 170mm cranks but I can't strike the wheel even if I try on purpose. 700c wheels are just too big for smaller sized frames.

Anonymous said...

http://www.matuzmaster.hu/en/

Don't know whether it's in your budget, but this reputable shop in Hungary has NOS Fausto Coppi track frames, I think for 250 euro (that number might be only for aelle-tube road frames, I am not sure). Lots of other interesting stuff, as well. Very responsive and friendly in e-mails.

Victor said...

Thanks sab, I will definitely keep that front wheel issue in mind. And congrats on getting the Alien. I've been looking at those but I read that even a 61 would be too small for me. Maybe not?

And Anon, that shop in Hungary is a real candy store. Thanks for the link.

sab said...

I also read that the 61cm would be too small, at first it was huge to me and I used a very short stem, I got more used to stretching out and went to a 9cm stem. It's all personal size/limberness with the top tube + stem. I'm known as the guy that rides "the huge bike" so calling it small seems weird.

Jon said...

I've had to deal with this before. I got in to riding riding a 1984 Fuji Del Rey which was 54cm in size. I'm 6ft 6 and would typically require a 62 cm bike, but I just cranked up the seat and sat really far back. It actually wasn't too uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog you have here...I wonder if you like bike then you must like bike games...you can play bike games at this site Bike Games. Also, you can play more game sites at Online Games, Kissing Games , Car Games, Driving Games, Truck Games, Dress Up Games, Games for Girls, Addicting Games and Girl Games.

Anonymous said...

Ill build you one. My prices are reasonable and I obsess over every detail...

www.halekaimachine.com