Thursday, December 4, 2008

Apollo Update


Here's a photo of the $6 fix updated with some new components

Nitto stem and Nitto Model 185 handlebars (thanks David!) wrapped in cloth tape and finished off with 3 coats of amber Bullseye shellac

Gran Compe front brake with Gipiemme (Modello) lever

New rear wheel: Formula hub, Mavic Open Pro rim, 14/15/14 spokes - thanks to the guys at Fairfield Bicycle in Victoria, BC!

Continental UltraGatorskin 700x23 foldable tires and Continental 76g tubes

Black Planet Bike fenders

She's like a new bicycle. I lost a pound of rotating weight by going to 700c wheels and lightweight tires and the difference is unbelievable. Also, switched out the 18 tooth cog for a 20 which makes hills just a tad easier. I'm going to leave her rusty for the winter but come spring, she'll get primed and painted.

3 comments:

ben wideman said...

A beautiful bike! Reminds me of my old bike, sadly I no longer own it.

http://can8ianbensblog.blogspot.com/2006/02/finished.html

matt said...

Looks great. I'm about to switch up my wheel set also. hopefully i have the same results as you. Thanks for posting my bridgestone on fixed gear gallery. what a treat to see my bike up there! it was great meeting you while you were in nashvill. i'll keep checking your blog. Keep up the good work.

Skull said...

Great feeling to find a hidden treasure at a bargain price!