Thursday, May 15, 2008

Six Dollar Fix


I decided I wanted a beater bike, one so homely that no thief would even look twice let alone take it. So I found this rusty blue 10-speed in my size at the recycling center for $6. The decals had already been stripped off so I have no idea about the brand but based on the parts mix and its age, I suspect the country of origin is Japan. I had a fixed wheelset laying around from an upgraded project and added the saddle, bars, pedals, chain and bottle cage from my parts bin. It was an easy build, just took a couple hours and I was sold after the first spin down to the post office. She may be butt ugly but she rides great! Total investment: $6 Canadian

6 comments:

Jerome said...

Nicely done! I've got two bike's I'm looking to build in the same way. One has the drive train (old Shimano 600) in mint, so I think I'll keep the gears. The other I'm going to slap an 18 tooth freewheel on. Nice to have bomber bikes like these that are worth fretting over while running in to grab a coffee!

Dave Wages said...

That's a pretty cool bike for six bucks. Most $6 bikes don't have Campy cranks, but they sure do look nice. By the way, do you know what kind of frame that is?, the headlugs actually look nice. A sweet junkyard score.

Victor said...

Actually, those cranks are Sugino but at a distance, they do look like older Campy. I wish I knew about the origin of the frame but I've no clue. But you're right about the headlugs, they are quite elegant. I am liking this bike more and more and have transferred one of my Brooks B-17s to it since I've been riding it so much. I'm finding it difficult to resist the temptation to make it nicer (maybe paint, nicer components, etc.) which of course would defeat the original "invisible to thieves" intention.

wart said...

its an old apollo!
higher end
maybe a gran tour?

331 Miles said...

Great blog! I'll be coming back for more...

Victor said...

Thanks to "wart" for IDing mythis bike. Confirmed by my LBS, this is indeed an older Apollo though I haven't figured out yet which model.