Sunday, April 27, 2008

Innovate or ?


I don't know who created this image or for what purpose. But when I saw it, my thoughts went straight to the price of gasoline, global warming and the general ill health of the planet due to poor stewardship on the part of humans. Though there's certainly nothing particularly innovative about using a bicycle for everyday transportation, we could all stand to do just that on a regular basis. Not enough of us do. And I'm not preaching here. Lord knows I'm guilty too. For instance, I have to be somewhere in a couple of hours. It's an easy 10 minute ride but it's chilly and rainy today. Am I going to don the Goretex and ride the Motobecane (with fenders) or am I going to wimp out and just jump in the truck and scoot on over there? Maybe it will stop raining...

4 comments:

warriordrama said...

The image is from the Specialized marketing campaign...it's quite thought provoking!

Victor said...

Thanks for letting me know. Obviously, I don't read the mainstream magazines. And yes, it's quite an image. I had a feeling it was probably part of an ad campaign.

jytteke said...

get rid of the truck, so you're not able to "wimp out"!

greetz,

CBAS (year round all weather bicycle commuter)

Victor said...

My wife and I have had an ongoing discussion about selling the truck and living carless but in the end we decided it would be cutting our noses off to spite our faces. We use it to haul firewood and gardening supplies, both of which are integral to the kind of self-sufficient lifestyle we are trying to realize. So we'll keep the vehicle and just use it when we really need it. My last fill-up cost me $86 so believe me, we'll be driving it as seldom as possible.