Sunday, April 20, 2008

Bar Tape Canadian Style


After a couple of too close calls on the Bridgestone fixie, I decided to put the front brake back on which also meant a re-tape job for the handlebars. In an earlier post, I mentioned that the nearest well-stocked roadie-friendly LBS was a long ways away which meant I didn't have any cloth bar tape. But I didn't want to wait for mail order so, what to do? Hockey stick tape. It feels great under the hand, looks right, it's much less expensive than traditional imported cloth tape and most importantly, it's readily available here in BC. Problem solved!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is not a good idea. Over time the tape will wear and the glue comes out of the seams gumming up your hands. Hockey tape is not designed to be used with bare hands (or fabric gloves). Speaking from experience...

Victor said...

Thanks for stopping by and for the advice. However, thus far my experience has been pretty much the exact opposite of yours. This is actually the second bike I have used hockey tape on and I have had absolutely no gumming happen. I ride with old-school leather padded fingerless gloves (the kind Rivendell sells), never bare hands, and I actually prefer the feel of hockey tape to traditional cloth bar tape. I rode a 20 mile loop today on another bike with trad cloth tape on the bars and I definitely missed the feel of the hockey tape. To each his own I guess. But I will keep and eye on the gum thing as time goes on and report back if I see a change.

negative drew said...

Still like it?