Sunday, March 9, 2008

Road Rash


What sets riding a fixed gear apart from other cycling? Well, lots of things really. But right up there at the top of the list is the fact that it demands concentration. There's a saying in Buddhism: When you're washing the dishes, wash the dishes. In other words do one thing at a time and do it fully, do it well. So, when riding fixed, ride fixed. I know that and have known it from my very first spin last summer. I've been on my fixie almost every day since but yesterday, I let my focus get fuzzy. Just for a couple of seconds. And the next thing I knew, I was going down. The good news is I wasn't going very fast and there were no cars in sight. I was lucky, could've been worse for sure. Lesson learned? Obviously, stay committed to the ride, focus. What else? Wear gloves. I always do. Always. But yesterday, I just jumped on the bike and took off without them. Today I have a hole in my left palm to show for it. So from now on those nice padded fingerless gloves I bought myself for Christmas will stay velcro'd to the handlebars so I won't leave home without them. And maybe by this time next week, Joelle will have stopped calling me Bloody Paw.

No comments: