Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Project #3


The Nottingham posts got me to thinking about that $5 Raleigh mixte townie out in the shed. I got it aiming to cannibalize it for parts (I recently saw a heron crank sell for $38 on eBay) but in the back of my mind I was also thinking grocery-getter for my wife. The rustworm has eaten the fenders but most of the rest is OK except for surface pitting so yesterday, I started tearing it down. Everything on this bike is steel: Some alloy components are definitely in order. I already have a suitable stem and handlebar and I know where to find some wheels for cheap. So all I really need is a mountain bike seatpost, a chain, tires, a patina'd Brooks saddle and a few bits and cables and she'll be ridable. Assuming the scrounging goes well, this shouldn't take long at all. Wish me luck!

No comments: