Saturday, February 2, 2008

No Lycra


I have been riding road bikes for 30 years. In all that time, I have never once fantasized about racing. It never appealed to me at all. Not that I don't like to go fast occasionally because I do. Occasionally. But mostly I cycle for the exercise and to see the world at a slower pace than an automobile allows. And since I've never had the racer dream, I have never once considered wearing lycra. And not just because I'd look ridiculous in it (I would, trust me). I like to be able to jump on my bike in whatever clothes I happen to be wearing and I don't want to look like a Tour de France competitor when I arrive wherever I'm going. I'm just a regular guy who happens to ride a bike. So no lycra, no company logos, and no shoes I can't walk in when I'm off the bike. Maybe I'm a retrogrouch but I had the exact same mindset when I was in my twenties. Simply riding my bicycle is the only statement I need to make.

2 comments:

Joelle said...

Oh, I don't know...I think your blog readers would like to see you in spandex! I'd pay a dollar.

Actually, I'm with you. Get dressed once for the day and do the things you love to do without having to change or make a statement.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more.

I've been a road rider since my first 10-speed back in 1970. Never really stopped, never dressed like a racer, and never will. Didn't need it back in more sensible times when I was in my teens and twenties, and I don't need it now as I approach 60. Why? Because I don't race, I ride. And I'm not part of any club or culture that requires me to look like anything. Moderation in all things.

a lugged steel retrogrouch