Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Eating Crow



Last month I posted that I'd never put fenders on my bike. Well, that's exactly what I did this afternoon so never say never I guess. Three factors contributed to my dinner of crow:


1. I picked up an old rusty Raleigh city bike for $5 with the intention of salvaging some parts to sell on eBay or for my stash.


2. I decided to make a fixie out of my Bridgestone RB-2 and use the Motobecane as a winter beater since I still haven't gotten around to painting it.


3. It snowed last night but the sun came out this afternoon and I wanted to ride to the market instead of taking the truck.


So...I removed the somewhat rusty and dented fenders from the Raleigh, took a hacksaw to them to make them as small as possible yet still function and bolted them onto the Motobecane. I arrived home with dry jeans and no stripe up my back despite having wheeled through snow, puddles and wet streets. So I guess they work. And they don't look too bad. And now I've got fenders just like everybody else in my neighbourhood. I'm still the only guy on a fixed gear road bike though.