Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Crank Aesthetics



While I'm waiting for parts in the mail, just a short post about one I already have, the crank. It's the stock one (with a new 46 tooth chainring) and I love it. Why did the all the major component manufacturers stop making those beautiful fluted crank spiders? They are all smooth and convex now, Shimano, Campagnolo, Sugino, Miche, all of them and they are not as pretty. At least not to my eye. To me, it's like the difference between a lugged steel frame and one with TIG welded joints. TIG welds aren't really ugly, but lugs are much easier on the eye.

About the photo: The crud on the metal is just road gunk. I rode in the rain yesterday and the bike doesn't have fenders. I cleaned it up some but obviously missed a few spots. The camera doesn't lie.

1 comment:

Joelle said...

Still...even with the road gunk, it looks like a piece of art.